Government says it will NOT appeal covid-care-homes High Court ruling
The Government has said it will not be appealing against a High Court ruling which stated its care home discharge policies were unlawful.
Last week, the High Court ruled policies in March and early April 2020 were unlawful because they failed to take into account the risk to elderly and vulnerable residents from non-symptomatic transmission of coronavirus.
It came after a claim was brought against the Government by two women – Cathy Gardner and Fay Harris – after their fathers died from Covid-19.
Former health secretary Matt Hancock apologised for people's 'pain and anguish' following the ruling.
On Wednesday, the Government said it would not be pursuing an appeal.
A spokesperson said: 'The Government notes the court's judgment and that the court dismissed most aspects of the claimants' judicial review.
'While we are disappointed that the court did not accept all of the points we put before it, we do not see a public interest in an appeal on those points, as the right place for these matters to be considered is the public inquiry.'