Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Police appeal for calm after 'serious disorder' in Leicester


Police have appealed for calm after a night of “serious disorder” in Leicester, with two people arrested after an “unplanned protest”.

Pictures showed hundreds of men on the streets and dozens of police forming a human barrier last night, with Temporary Chief Constable Rob Nixon saying his officers were “taking control” of the situation.

The disturbances are the latest of several in the city following a cricket match between India and Pakistan on August 28.

A dispersal order was put in place until 6am, permitting police to stop and search anyone if they suspected serious violence might take place.

They were also empowered to order anyone away from a specific location and not to return for 48 hours, or return anyone under 16 to their home.

In a video shared on Twitter, Mr Nixon said: "We've had numerous reports of an outbreak of disorder in parts of the East Leicester area of the city.

"We have got officers there, we are taking control of that situation, there are additional officers that are en route, and dispersal powers and stop and search powers have been authorised. Please do not get involved, we are calling for calm."

Meanwhile several incidents of violence and damage have been reported to police are being investigated.

The police statement explained: “We are aware of a video circulating showing a man pulling down a flag outside a religious building on Melton Road, Leicester.

This appears to have taken place while police officers were dealing with public disorder in the area. The incident will be investigated.”

As a result, two men were arrested, one for suspicion of conspiracy to commit violent disorder and another on suspicion of possession of a bladed article. Both remain in police custody.

Leicestershire Police concluded: "We are continuing to call for dialogue and calm with support from local community leaders.

“We will not tolerate violence or disorder in our city. A significant police operation will remain in the area in the coming days."

Prior to the events of Saturday, a total of 27 people had been arrested in Leicester in relation to disturbance on a total of seven different dates since August 28.

One eyewitness told the BBC she had seen people wearing balaclavas or with masks over their faces, and with hoods pulled up.