Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Dog rushed to vets after eating discarded face mask


A Scottish dog had to be rushed to the vets after eating a discarded face mask.

Nine-month-old Bailey was given an injection to make him sick after swallowing the mask while out on a stroll in Glasgow's south side on Saturday.

Thankfully, the beautiful pup has fully recovered and is now back to his energetic best, however his owner Andrea Hannah knows it could have been a lot worse if they'd been unable to get Bailey to the vets as quick as they did.

Explaining what happened to their young pooch, Andrea said that Glasgow's parks and streets have become littered with face masks in recent weeks, and she urged fellow dog walkers to be extra vigilant.

She said: "Bailey was having a lot of fun, running about a big area of grass beside the cricket ground. I just happened to look at him and at one point there was a face mask on the ground and I saw him pick it up. In one gulp it was gone.

"The vets recognised instantly they had to get the mask out of him as quickly as possible. He was given an injection to make him sick to bring up what he’d eaten. He got sent up the road and he was a bit shaky for a while afterwards. He was having a lovely day up until that point!

"He’s absolutely fine now, but it’s upsetting for him to have to be given an injection to be sick. He’ll probably do it again, he’s just one of these dogs."

Andrea's warning extends to other pets beside dogs, after being advised cats have also been rushed to the vets in recent weeks following similar incidents.